Medical Laboratory Technology Department
To train Medical Laboratory Technicians capable of carrying out diagnostic services in the community and Primary Health Care facilities.
To be a department of excellence producing Medical Laboratory Technicians who can compete favourably with their counterparts from health institutions in carrying out diagnostic services.
PHILOSOPHY OF MLT DEPARTMENT
STATEMENT OF GOALS OF THE PROGRAMME
The goal is to provide its graduates with a sound background in medical laboratory science. The three year programme provides the students with technical skills and ethical approach to laboratory work, for proper integration into the medical team. On satisfactory completion of the programme, they earn a National Certificate of Medical Laboratory Technician of the Medical Laboratory Council of Nigeria and become eligible for registration with the council.
GOALS OF THE PROGRAMME
1. To provide an operational frame work that will prepare proficient medical laboratory technicians/assistants.
2. To provide coordination between the college and the practice area.
3. To prepare students for certification and licensing as required by the Medical Laboratory Council of Nigeria.
4. To train eligible candidates from various communities in keeping with the philosophy of the College of service to the community.
5. To offer a career ladder to medical laboratory technicians who wish to pursue a degree in the University.
6. To periodically revise and strengthen the curriculum in line with the changing needs of the Medical Laboratory profession.
7. To liaise with medical laboratory professionals for easy coordination of the programme with the Medical Laboratory Science Council.
CAREER ENTRY COMPETENCE
1. apply scientific principles to medical laboratory techniques and procedure.
2. Perform routine tests effectively and efficiently.
3. Troubleshoot problems encountered during routine testing.
4. Work harmoniously with members of the laboratory and other members of health team.
5. Accept responsibility for actions within legal and ethical guidelines of the profession.
6. Complete the necessary requirement for registration and licensing.
7. Recognize the need for progressive development through continuing education.
The achievement of these competences is incorporated into the goals of each of the clinical laboratory science course.