Community Health Department
Community Health Department is one of the departments in the College. The department is headed by a trained primary health care professional.
The programs in the department are:
1. Certificate in Community Health (JCHEW).
2. National Diploma (ND) in Community Health (CHEW)
3. Abridgement program for National Diploma in Community Health.
COMMUNITY HEALTH EXTENSION WORKERS (CHEW)
For already qualified JCHEWS and fresh school leavers with relevant qualifications
DURATION: THREE YEARS
1. WASCE or SSCE or GCE, five credits which must include Biology, English and Mathematics or JCHEW certificate with the requisite WASCE or SSCE or GCE.
JUNIOR COMMUNITY HEALTH EXTENSION WORKERS
DURATION: TWO YEARS
SSCE/WAEC attempted, a minimum of 3 credit passes.
To develop Community Health Practitioners with qualitative, focused and committed Community Health skills to deliver quality and holistic primary health care services at the grass root.
For an applicant to be qualified to practice, such a person must have undergone Community Health training course(s) in one of the accredited Community Health Training Institutions and passed the prescribed qualifying National Examination as a JCHEW, CHEW or CHO as the case may be and licensed as one.
1. A qualified Community Health Worker has a store of knowledge in the provision of preventive health care to bring down overload of
2. A well trained Community Health Worker is gender friendly in performance of duty.
3. A Community Health worker is not merely a substitute for doctors but rather crucial adjuncts.
4. Community Health Worker can assure a wide variety of roles in health care in handling minor cases in the absence of surgeons.
5. Community Health worker help the poor overcome barriers of accessing effective health care in the absence of physicians.
6. Community Health Workers work to improve outreach efforts to vulnerable patient population.
7. They serve as counsellors, helping poor patients overcome the barriers that prevent them from seeking vital health care, etc.